Saturday, April 26, 2014

Lockdown at KSU

I was just telling myself yesterday morning how I haven't written a blog post in a while. And lo and behold, I have something to write about NOW!

Unlike other tutors, I do not have a "place of business". I drive to all of my students. I am a frequent visitor to Kennesaw State University to tutor many students in the biology and chemistry departments.

Well, today, I went to tutor Sally, one of my most dedicated students. We were studying for her Organic Chemistry final next week and planning study dates for her Genetics final the following week. After 2 hours, I got up, said my goodbyes and walked up stairs to leave the library. I tried push open a door and it won't open. I try to push another door and the mass of students I apparently did not notice laugh at me. One of the library staff informed me that campus is on lockdown for a suspected gunman on campus!

Sally was excited she got free tutoring until I could leave campus! Haha
What?

I respond with "Wait, how long has this been going on?"
"Over an hour and a half! Where have you been?!?"
"Downstairs tutoring!"

We never had anyone make an announcement to the students on the basement level about the lockdown. Then I remember seeing two (maybe three?) police officers walking around--not campus safety but fully armed policemen.
I go back to the basement inform everyone downstairs. Some people are surprised and others wonder how I did not know. About 10 students in the basement and I talk about the situation and our experiences with lockdowns in the past.

My alma matar, Rochester Institute of Technology, had a number of lockdowns. One of them became wildly popular... campus safety mistook an UMBRELLA for a RIFLE! (No, I am not kidding. Read the article. It was pretty ridiculous.)


Click the picture or HERE to read the article.
Praise the Lord no one was hurt. Sally and I discussed some more resonance structures and functional groups before someone came downstairs and said the lockdown was lifted. Getting out of the parking lot was not a fun experience but I made it ON TIME for my next tutoring appointment! Win!
I did run out of caffeine during the lockdown though.

So what is the moral of the story?
When you hire me as your tutor, not even dangerous gunmen can distract you from learning! I'm that good ;)
Totally joking. But in all seriousness, I really do praise the Lord that everyone was safe and the situation ended rather quickly. Thank you to KSU for protecting its students.




No comments:

Post a Comment