Thursday, May 1, 2014

Finals and the "Flu"

This is finals week for many of my students. So why am I at home typing a blog post instead of making sure my students got their facts down and their critical thinking caps on? Because I have had the lovely stomach flu for the past few days.

Yuck.

Don't worry, I'll spare you the wonderful details. Though today is the first day I feel able to sit up and concentrate to write anything. So I wanted to mention the ways that I am keeping track of my students while I am physically quarantined from most of them.

"Stomach flu" is a misnomer; it is actually called Viral Gastroenteritis. Usually caused by a Norovirus.
Because I am much more technologically connected with my college students than my K-12 students (for obvious legal reasons), I have been texting, emailing, and calling them to make sure they have their details correct. I usually charge for technology tutoring--but it is neither their fault nor mine that I am sick, so they get access to me via technology for free during the time slot we should have been tutoring. Can I hear a WOOP WOOP!

Thankfully, my elementary and middle school students have two more weeks before the end of the school year and they JUST finished CRCT! So good timing for them! Since the pressure to meet with them is much lower, I have an open line of communication with their parents to contact me. I am always an email or text away if their student has a question. A few of them have taken the opportunity to talk about summer sessions! Woop woop!

Good thing that happened even though I haven't tutored: one of my students aced her final! Proud tutor over here!!
Bad thing that happened: I had to miss my teaching English as a second language class at my church. I love that class so much and we've been on a month long break due to out of control circumstances and we won't have class for another 2 weeks... So only two more classes until summer break for them! I have so many ideas and I'm just so excited for these adults that I just want to teach and teach and teach!



Finally, I just want to say thank you to my wonderful husband who has waited on me hand and foot these past days! Seriously, God is so good to have given me such a loving husband (and he's rather good-lookin' too) :]

Off to eat/drink more clear fluids. Yay!


No comments:

Post a Comment